- It’s estimated that 6,206 people are living with HIV in Scotland
- 5,151 people have been diagnosed*
- Another 1,055 may be infected but are undiagnosed
- 1 in every 866 people in Scotland is HIV positive
- In 2015, there were 362 new diagnoses of HIV in Scotland – that’s around one new diagnosis a day.
- It’s estimated around 103,700 people are living with HIV in the UK**
- 85,600 people have been diagnosed
- Another 18,100 may be infected but are undiagnosed or very recently diagnosed
- 1 in every 628 people in the UK is HIV positive
- It’s estimated 36.7 million people are living with HIV worldwide***
- There were 2.1 million new HIV infections in 2015
- In the same year, there were 1.1 million AIDS related deaths.
* Health Protection Scotland – diagnoses up to end of June 2016
** Public Health England – estimate for 2014
***UNAIDS reported figures up to end of 2015
Find out more about the impact of HIV worldwide here.