Other services in the community

Many services are available to help your health and wellbeing

As soon as you arrive in Scotland find the nearest GP Practice to you, and register with them. They are there to help you get the right kind of care when you need it. Most NHS services & treatments are free – even if you are an asylum seeker or refugee.

This page will help explain some of the other services in Scotland that you may find helpful.

For emergencies

If you need urgent help in the event of an accident or emergency, or if you need the police or fire brigade, call 999.

Dental services

You can access some dental treatments for free as an NHS patient, although some treatments may require a fee. To register with a NHS dentist or to receive dental treatment click here for more information


You can buy basic medicine over the counter at a pharmacy as well as seeing medical advice from a pharmacist. However they will not be able to give you any treatment that requires a prescription. If you need treatment, book an appointment with your GP to assess what you need. Your GP can send your treatment to a pharmacy of your choosing. To find the nearest pharmacy to you, click here.

Mental health & Wellbeing

If you are experiencing low mood, stress, anxiety, or have any other symptoms of poor mental health, speak to your GP. You can also find where to get help here.

If you need immediate help, call NHS24 on 111 and select the mental health option. If you need urgent immediate help, call 999.

If you are in Edinburgh, you can find mental health help on iThrive here or contact the Edinburgh Crisis Centre on 0131 561 0080 at any time of day or night.

If you need someone to talk to, you can call the Samaritans on 116 123 (open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week) or CALM on 0800 58 58 58 (5pm-midnight). Please note these two services are in English only, and do not offer an interpreting service.

Asylum, Refugee, and migrant advice

Migrant Help provides a free asylum helpline on 0808 8010 503. To find out more about how Migrant Help can help you, click here.

The Scottish Refugee Council also runs an advice line for asylum seekers and refugees on 0141 223 7979. To find out more about how Scottish Refugee Council can help you, click here.

General Advice & Information

If you need help or support on general issues such as money, housing, finding a job, immigration, legal matters, and more, Citizens Advice can help you. Visit their website to find out more.

You may also contact us via our form.


All NHS services also provide interpreters if you are not fluent in English language, always ask for one if needed.

NHS Scotland does not give your details to the Home Office for immigration enforcement.

Looking for support?

If you are looking for tailored support and advice, we're here to help. Get in touch by filling out our contact form.

Contact us